I had every intention of being at Chuck E. Cheese Saturday, but as the week wore on, I began to second-guess that decision. What if the invitation was just symbolic and that Skyler's mother didn't actually expect me to make it to the party? Would it be terribly awkward going there and socializing with the parents of my students, casually discussing the behavior or academic problems of someone's son or daughter? As I contemplated these concerns, however, I realized that my initial reaction was the truest. So what if things were a little weird or awkward, I knew that it would mean the world to my students for me to attend.
In this regard, I was not incorrect. It took Amber and me a few wrong turns to finally arrive at Chuck E. Cheese, just a few minutes south of Atlanta, and when we finally did arrive I was not disappointed. Children and adults were crammed into this small establishment known as Chuck E. Cheese, and before I could even begin to talk to the hostess, who seemed to be holding back the masses waiting to enter, Skyler's mother touched her arm and shouted over the din, "they're with me." As I walked to the tables Skyler's mother had reserved for the occasion I recognized 5 of my students who did double and triple takes before shouting out, "Mr. Hamilton!" Apparently, my arrival, though quite welcome, was not expected.
I was very glad to attend Skyler's birthday. Though it was not without it's awkward moments--all three of the parents with whom I was sitting admitted that they did not initially think I would be able to make it through the year with their children--it was special getting a chance to interact with my students and their parents outside of school. I will never forget Skyler tearing open her carefully wrapped present (a book, of course) and then reading the card I wrote her in which I instructed her to "never forget to say "please" and "thank you." Her head flew back with laughter before she passed the card to the rest of her friends in attendance, who had similar reactions.
As I sit reflecting on the party at Chuck E. Cheese, the only question I have is if there will be any tangible difference in the way that my children act in the classroom as a result of our interaction outside of it. I suppose only time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment